Fernando Parrilla, is originally from San Juan, Puerto Rico, he got interested in the culinary arts at a young age. He studied in Instituto de Banca y Comercio of Hato Rey. When he graduated he went to work in the kitchen of the Caribe Hilton Hotel, he remained working there until 1999, then he decided to continue studying in the culinary school Jonson & Wales in Rhode Island, while he was studying he worked in the five star restaurant Agora. When he finished studying he returned to Puerto Rico and began teaching for five years in the culinary arts department in Instituto de Banca y Comercio then he was the coordinator of the program for another five years. In 2011 he was named Director of the Culinary Arts program at MBTI. Chef Parrilla became a part of the Culinary Team of Puerto Rico in three occasions 2003, 2007 and 2011, being a part of the team was a dream come true and being able to represent Puerto Rico in culinary competitions was always one of his greatest aspirations and he did it, he won best chef of the Caribbean in 2007. Chef Parrilla is owner of Crispy & Relleno, Piñones Bistro. His favorite cuisine is Caribbean because of the richness of colors, aromas and flavors in the ingredients.
- Five medals with the Puerto Rico Culinary Team in 2003.(Taste of Caribbean)
- Two Gold medals and Best Chef of the Caribbean in 2007. (Taste of Caribbean)
- Prepared the menu for a gala in London.
- Received second place in the culinary competition Master Chef Puerto Rico in 2009, assisting chef Efrain Cruz.
- Participation with various chefs’s in the event San Juan salutes Boston Chef Dinner which took place in Ritz Carltón Hotel in Puerto Rico.
- Personal Chef in various beauty contests (Miss World, Miss Universe)
- Participation in California Wine Master in Paramount Picture in Los Angeles.
- Participated in the celebration of Vintage Hospital.
- Various prizes in the Jack Daniel BBQ competition.
- Opening of the night club Egypt.
- Preparation of the menu for the 25th anniversary celebration of La Bodega de Mendez
- Three Bronze Medals in the American Culinary Federation competition in 2006 which took place in Orlando, Florida.
- Two silver and one bronze medal in the American Culinary Federation competition in 2007 in Orlando, Florida.
- Took home gold, silver and bronze in the American Culinary Federation competition in 2009 in Orlando, Florida.
- He won two silver medals and one bronze medal in the American Culinary Federation competition in 2010 in Orlando, Florida.
- Gold Medal in the first gastronomic convention of Instituto de Banca y Comercio in 2007.
- Obtained first place in the Culinary Competition of Sam’s Club in 2007.
- Presentation in the FITUR convention, in Madrid, Spain, January 2010.
- Bronze and gold medal in the main course category in the tourism convention in Puerto Rico.
- In October 2010 the chef went to Chicago with chef Efrain Cruz to promote the culinary event Saborea Puerto Rico.
- Preparation of food for charities in Puerto Rico. (homeless people, the elderly among others)
- Was one of the finalists in the competition Master Chef Latino in 2011.
- Presentations in the culinary festival SABOREA PUERTO RICO.